This program is a full scholarship established by MOE to encourage outstanding American students to study in China. It supports all levels of degree programs prospective students, including Bachelor, Master’s and PhD level.
2. Application Deadline: March 31st, 2019
(1) Applicants should submit an online application (http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn) before March 31, 2019, 24:00 (UTC/GMT +8.00). A hard copy is not required to be mailed.
(2) Applicants are only required to go to the CSC Application portal to submit the application.
(3) Application submitted online after March 31st, 2019 will not be accepted.
(1) Applicants must be a citizen of the United States, and be in good health
(2) Applicants must not be studying for Degree Program in China at the time of application; (Graduates can only apply after one year upon their graduation.)
(3) Education background and age limit:
a) Applicants for bachelor's degree studies must be above the age of 18 by September 1, 2019 and under the age of 25.
b) Applicants for master’s degree studies must have a bachelor's degree and be under the age of 35.
c) Applicants for doctoral degree studies must have a master’s degree and be under the age of 40.
(4)SWUFE does not accept any application from any third parties. Applicants please apply from SWUFE directly for this type of scholarship. Once the case is detected, the scholarship application will be rejected during the reviewing process, or the scholarship offer will be revoked.
(5) For bachelor’s degree program applicants who have given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens, the conditions set by the Document No. 83 (2009) of Ministry of Education of the PRC should be met. Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan who have emigrated to other countries and are applying to SWUFE as international students must present valid passport or citizenship documents dating before April 30th 2014, along with proof of residence abroad of at least 2 years between April 30th 2014 to the application deadline (9 months of residence abroad per year may be considered as one year).
(6) Education background:
a) Applicants for bachelor’s degree programs must have a senior high school diploma
b) Applicants for master's degree programs must have a bachelor's degree
c) Applicants for doctoral degree programs must have a master's degree
4. Academic Programs and Teaching Language
Please check the programs list and the language of programs in attachment 1.
5. Duration of scholarship
(1) Bachelor degree students: 4 years
(2) Master’s degree students: 2-3 years
(3) Doctoral degree students: 3-4 years
6. Language Requirement
(1) Chinese-Taught Program (No Requirement of Language Preparatory Program)
A. Applicants whose first language is Chinese do not need to provide language level certificate.
B. Having passed HSK Level 5, with each subject scored over 70 points.
(2) Chinese-Taught Program (Require One-Year Language Preparatory Program)
A. Basic eligibility: There is no HSK requirement. However, if all other conditions are the same, students who have passed HSK Level 3, with each subject scored over 60 points, will be prioritized.
B. Students must meet the standard of language requirement before finishing the One-Year Language Preparatory Program.
(3) English-Taught Program
A. For those whose first language is English, applicants do not need a language certificate
B. For those whose first language is not English, please provide score report of an English language test (IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 95).
7. Language Requirements after the admission
A. Requirement of One-Year Language Preparatory Program
Before the end of the Preparatory Program, students must pass HSK Level 4, with each subject scored over 60 points. If not, scholarship will be paused or terminated.
Before the end of the Preparatory Program, if students pass HSK Level 4 test but cannot pass HSK 5 test, students will start the first year of degree programs in a trial study period.
If students pass HSK Level 5 during the Preparatory Program, with each subject scored over 60 points, students could enter the degree program without the first-year trial study period.
B. First-year of degree programs
The first year of the degree program is a trial study period. During the first year of the major programs, students must pass HSK Level 5, with each subject scored over 60 points. If not, scholarship will be paused or terminated.
8. Scholarship details
① Exemption from tuition fees and accommodation fees on campus;
Accommodation: free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy.
If the host university requires students to live on campus, the university will accommodate the scholarship students in a university dormitory（usually a twin room for master’s students and a single room for doctoral degree students）. If the host university permits students to live off campus, the university will provide monthly accommodation subsidy (RMB 700/Month per person for master’s degree students; RMB 1000/Month per person for doctoral students);
② Living allowance: RMB 2,500/month/person for Bachelor Level students; RMB 3,000/month/person for Master’s Level students; RMB 3,500 /month /person for doctoral Level students;
③ Comprehensive medical insurance;
For more details of the standard, please visit the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC)
9. Application procedures
(1) Applicants shall all make an online application at http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/register
(2) Fill in Agency “10651”
(3) Choose ”Type B” for Program Category
(4) Upload all supporting documents in the system. If one file consists of more than one page, please combine all pages in one PDF file and upload it.
Applicants should submit online application before the March 31, 2019 and upload documents as required:
a) Passport Photo;
b) Notarized highest educational transcript (documents without notary are not valid);
c) Notarized highest educational degree or diploma certificate (documents without notary are not valid);
—If the student has not obtained a degree yet, the student should provide original official letter that states this student will obtain the degree before August 31st of current year. The student’s current school should issue this letter;
d) Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);
e) A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English, more than 800 words);
f) Copy of Passport First Page (if available);
g) Foreigner Physical Examination Form (Attachment 2, written in English or Chinese);
The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months, and,
h) A copy of valid HSK Certificate (if available).
(5) After submitting the application online, please email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your application number and your name.
(6) Important Notes:
a) All documents should be presented in English or Chinese. If not, a translated version in English or Chinese is mandatory. Documents without translation in English or Chinese are not valid. The Translation should be notarized too.
b) Applicant should make sure contact information, passport information and other personal information is correct in the application form. Please turn on your mobile phone or make sure your phone line is connected, and check your contact email regularly. The Admission office will contact applicants if necessary. The consequence of providing wrong information on the application form shall be taken by applicants.
(1) If candidates haven’t received an email before May 30, they are deemed as “Not selected for Interview Sessions”. SWUFE will not notify the candidate.
(2) SWUFE will publish the initial award list at the website. If candidates’ names are not in the list, they are deemed as “Not Selected”. SWUFE will not notify the candidate.
11. Selection and notification
(1) A committee of experts and professors at SWUFE will screen scholarship candidates and submit a list of nominees. Scholarship decisions will be made on the basis of the applicants’ application documents, academic performance, overall merits, research achievements and previous supervisors’ comments. The initial list of nominees will be published at CIE website (http://international.swufe.edu.cn/) and will be submitted to the China Scholarship Council for final approval.
(2) The CSC reviews eligibility and qualifications of nominated candidates, approves the List of Scholarship Recipients, and sends the admission documents to universities before Mid-August. After that, scholarship awardees will be notified via email and their Admission Notice and Visa Application Form (JW201) will be mailed out.
(3) The CSC reserves the right to decide the host university for scholarship recipients who have multiple offers. Each scholarship recipient — even when admitted by multiple universities — will be granted no more than one scholarship
(4) Scholarship recipients shall not change their host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
(5) The Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
(6) SWUFE reserves the rights to make the Nominees List and explanation of the application procedures. The procedures are subject to change based on CSC regulations.
(7) The content above is subject to change based on changes of China laws and regulations in 2019.
(8) Please frequently check the website of CIE for updated information
12. Regulation at SWUFE
(1) Awarded students must study as full-time students and abide by all the rules and regulations at SWUFE. Students are not allowed to transfer university or change major.
(2) Based on CSC regulation, awarded students must participate in an annual reassessment based on CSC and SWUFE requirements. Students will continue to have the scholarship after they pass the annual reassessment. If not, the scholarship will be paused or terminated.
13. Fraud Policy
(2) If fraudulent documents and fraudulent practices are detected at the application stage, application will be rejected immediately.
(2) If fraudulent documents and fraudulent practices are detected at the pre-admission stage, the admission offer will be abolished immediately.
(3) If fraudulent documents and fraud practices are detected after students’ registration, enrollment or student status will be abolished immediately.
(4) If fraudulent documents and fraud practices are detected after graduation, education administration department shall declares the academic record and the degree certificate invalid, and order it to be withdrawn or confiscated.
(5) If any crime is suspected, the case shall be transferred to the judicial authority.
14. Contact information
Ms. Xi Zhang
College of International Education
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics
No.55 Guanghuacun Street
Chengdu Sichuan Province
P.R. China 610074
Tel: +86 (0) 28 87355437
Fax: +86 (0) 28 87355437
College of International Education
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics
March 14, 2019