(The Chinese text of this notice shall be deemed the original. In the event of any dispute or misunderstanding as to the interpretation of the language or terms in this article, the Chinese language version shall prevail.)
1. Two Types of Chinese University Programs
(1) The University Postgraduate Program
In order to promote the mutual understanding, cooperation and exchanges in various fields between China and other countries, the Ministry of Education P.R.C has set up this scholarship program to sponsor outstanding international students to study in China. It only supports graduate students.
(2) The “Silk Road” Program
In order to deepen the education cooperation with the “Belt and Road” countries, the Ministry of Education P.R.C has set up the “Chinese Government Scholarship-Silk Road Program” for recruiting outstanding students from the “Belt and Road” countries to pursue graduate degrees in China.
2. Application Time
08:00 January 15th, 2020 ~ 17:00 February 22nd, 2020 (UTC/GMT +08:00)
(1) Applicants must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health.
(2) Applicants must abide by the laws and regulations of Chinese Government and local government, as well as regulations of SWUFE.
(3) Education background and age limit
A. Applicants for master’s degree studies should be at the age of 18 to 35 with a completed bachelor’s degree before September 1st, 2020.
B. Applicants for doctoral degree studies should be at the age of 18 to 40 with a completed master’s degree before September 1st, 2020.
(4) Requirements of language proficiency
A. Chinese-taught program
a. Applicants whose native language is Chinese do not need to provide language level certificate.
b. Applicants who passed HSK 5 with each subject scored over 60 points.
c. Applicants who passed HSK 3 with each subject scored over 60 points can apply the degree program with one-year language preparatory program. Before the end of the preparatory program, students must pass HSK 5 with each subject scored over 60 points. If not, scholarship will be paused or terminated.
B. English-taught program
a. Applicants whose native language is English do not need to provide language certificate.
b. Applicants whose native language is not English are required to provide score report of an English language test (IELTS 6.5 or TOEFL 95 and above).
(5) Applicants are not offered with any other scholarships for graduate study at SWUFE.
(6) Applicants shall apply from SWUFE directly.
(7) For those who have given up their original Chinese citizenship and become foreign citizens, the conditions set by the Document No. 83 (2009) of Ministry of Education of the PRC should be met.
(8) Applicants shall meet other restrictions according to the CSC requirement of the year.
4. Academic Programs and Teaching Language
Please check the Major List of SWUFE 2020 Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program in Attachment 1.
5. Duration of Scholarship
(1) Master’s degree students: 2-3 years
(2) Doctoral degree students: 3-4 years
6. Scholarship Coverage
(3) Living allowance
(4) Comprehensive medical insurance
For more details please visit the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC) :
7. Application Procedures
(1) Submit an online application at SWUFE online application system.
Visit http://admission.swufe.edu.cn or http://swufe.17gz.org, upload all required documents, pay application fee online and submit application.
(2) Submit an online application at Chinese Government Scholarship System.
Visit http://studyinchina.csc.edu.cn/#/register, upload all required documents and submit online application.
(3) Applicants should submit online application before the deadline and upload documents as required:
A. Passport photo taken within 6 months;
B. Notarized highest educational degree or diploma certificate;
C. Notarized complete highest educational transcript;
If the applicant has not obtained a degree yet, then should provide original official letter that states this student will obtain the degree before August 31st, 2020. The student’s current school should issue this letter.
D. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);
The recommendation letters should be signed by associate professors or professors or people with relevant academic title in related academic fields.
E. A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English, more than 800 words);
F. A copy of valid language certificate;
G. Copy of the applicant’s valid personal passport first page;
H. Physical Examination Record for Foreigner (Attachment 2).
The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
Please check Application Guide for 202 Chinese Government Scholarship for more details (Attachment 3).
All documents should be presented in English or Chinese. If not, a notarized translated version in English or Chinese is mandatory. Documents without translation in English or Chinese are not valid.
Applicants shall guarantee the application information and documents are correct, valid and authentic. Any invalid or inauthentic documents/information will disqualify your scholarship application.
8. Application Fee
(1) Application fee is CNY 600. The applicant may pay online by bank cards. Please follow the instruction at our application website.
(2) Applications without application fee will not be processed.
(3) Application fee is not refunded under any circumstance.
9. Selection and Notification
(1) A committee of experts and professors at SWUFE will review scholarship applications and then select candidates to take online exam and interview as the second round. SWUFE will email selected candidates about the ways and time of online exam and interview.
(2) Scholarship decisions will be made according to applicants’ application documents, academic performance, overall merits, research achievements and previous supervisors’ comments. The initial list of nominees will be submitted to CSC for final approval. CSC will review eligibility and qualifications of nominated candidates, approve the List of Scholarship Recipients. Applicants may check their application status in SWUFE International Student Service System. Scholarship awardees will be notified via email after CSC’s approval. Admission Notice and Visa Application for Study in China (JW201) will be mailed out by SWUFE.
(3) CSC reserves the right to decide the host university for scholarship recipients who have multiple offers. Each scholarship recipient—even when admitted by multiple universities—will be granted no more than one scholarship.
(4) Scholarship recipients shall not change the host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
(5) The Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
(6) SWUFE reserves the rights to make the Nominees List and explanation of this Application Notice. The contents are subject to change based on CSC regulations.
(7) The content above is subject to change based on changes of China laws and regulations in 2020.
(8) Please frequently check the website of CIE for updated information.
10. Regulations at SWUFE
(1) Awarded students must study as full-time students and abide by all the rules and regulations at SWUFE.
(2) Awarded students must participate in annual reassessment based on the requirements of CSC and SWUFE. Students will continue to have the scholarship after they pass the annual reassessment. If not, the scholarship will be paused or terminated.
Tel: +86 28 87355437
Fax: +86 28 87355437
Address: No.55 Guanghuacun Street, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, P.R. China 610074
1. Major List of SWUFE 2020 Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program
2. Physical Examination Record for Foreigner
3. Application Guide for 2020 Chinese Government Scholarship-Chinese University Program
College of International Education
Southwestern University of Finance and Economics
January 15, 2020