Choosing SWUFE - a diverse international community with everything you want to explore here.

Apply for Visa

How to apply for a visa to China

International students need to apply for a visa to enter China at the Chinese embassy or consulate in their own countries. The documents required to apply for a visa include your valid passport, admission letter (original) and visa application form for international students studying in China (also known as JW201/JW202 form). When you take back your passport and get your visa to enter China, please ensure that the embassy returns the original copy of the Admission Notice and JW201/JW202 form to you. These are important documents that you need to provide to the Public Security Bureau when you apply for a residence permit after you come to China. Students who study in China for more than half a year must hold an "X1" visa to enter China.


(1) X1 visa is valid for 30 days. X1 visa holders must apply for a residence permit within 30 days after entering the country, so that they can legally stay in China for a long time.

(2) According to relevant regulations, international students must hold an X1/X2 visa or a residence permit issued by the Public Security Bureau in China when registering. Other types of visas cannot go through the admission procedures.

For information about the Chinese embassy/consulate in your country, please refer to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of my country:

Back to Top